bacillus thuringiensis shelf life

Dan Jones dan_jones at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jun 24 15:35:57 EDT 1998

We've been plagued with squash vine borers both this year and last, and I've
been trying to exterminate them using "Safer Caterpillar Killer", a product
containing bacillus thuringiensis (B.t.) var. kurstaki.  I've tried both
injecting it into the stems and spraying it onto the plants, and neither has
been successful.

What I'm wondering about is, since this is a biological agent, how long is
it effective?  The package has no expiration date on it.  One mixes it with
water before use.  How long is it effective once mixed with water?

Please reply by email as well.

Thanks,

Dan Jones