Polyphemus rescue

Mark Walker mwalker at aisvt.bfg.com
Thu Jun 25 10:34:07 EDT 1998

Last Friday, June 19, I had one of those unusual experiences that seem to
occur only for the purpose of putting everything into proper perspective
(there is a God!).  I had been out looking for C. interior up at the
blueberry bushes in the Green Mountains (didn't find any, but did enjoy
walking back to the car during a magnificent thunderstorm and torrential
downpour).  I was driving down a mountain road, minding my own business,
when I noticed something in the road in front of me.  Something very LARGE
and winged.  I swerved to avoid running it over and immediately pulled to
the shoulder (one of those dangerous ento reactions that could probably get
my license revoked).

As I got out of the car and headed back up the road, two very large trucks
came around the corner, heading right for whatever was lying in the road.  I
grabbed my hair and cringed, but luckily both vehicles just missed running
over what appeared to be a large Saturniid.  Now determined, I headed into
the road towards the bug.  Just as I was approaching, a big tow truck
rounded the corner.  I was already in the middle of the road, about 20 feet
from the moth, and nothing was going to stop me.  It looked as though I
would get there just before the tow truck, but just barely.  I assumed by
now that this was roadkill Cecropia, but just when I came upon it, it opened
it's wings.  To my astonishment, I was looking at a big, fat, gorgeous
Antheraea polyphemus, in perfect condition.  I reached underneath the moth
gently to pick it up, just as the tow truck was angrily applying it's
brakes.  Once freed from the asphalt, this huge Polyphemus moth flapped it's
way free from my hands and began to ascend.  I watched, with hands above my
head, as the moth flew up, up, and to the top of the forest canopy.  A
beautiful site.

A bizarre sight for the two burly tow truck drivers who were too
flabbergasted to respond.  Expecting a confrontation, I simply stepped out
of the road, matter-of-factly, as if it were clearly my job to drive around
and rescue large insects.  After a long pause (and probably a few hand
gestures), the truck went on it's way.

As I headed back to my car, I couldn't believe that I didn't bring my net
(which was in the back seat).  At least a jar!  But it was clear from the
whole experience that I wasn't supposed to HAVE this bug, only enjoy it up
close.  And so I thought I might share it with you.

Awesome.

Mark Walker
Driving on Route 73,
just East of Brandon, VT