Spicebush swallowtail

Anne Kilmer viceroy at gate.net
Sun Mar 15 17:32:42 EST 1998

Sorry about the cross posting, gentlebeings,
    Spent today at a bug romp at the local botanical garden (they were
releasing thousands of ladybugs, oh boy ... )
And people came by with a spicebush swallowtail chrysalid they had
bought at Butterfly World. Papilio troilus. This is a lovely butterfly,
indigenous to the north part of Florida. Doesn't hang out this far
south.
While I know that the USDA regulates this sort of transaction, and that
the rules do not permit the release of out-of-state butterflies,  I also
know that this is an out-of range release, and that it is wrong.
I have persuaded the butterfly's "owner" to keep it as a pet in her
screened porch, rather than allowing it to fly free. But why, I wonder,
is Butterfly World involved in out of range releases. Your thoughts ...
Anne Kilmer
south florida