Standardized Butterfly Names

Tish Silberbauer & Dave Britton xadeb at magna.carbuncle.com.au
Tue Mar 24 14:41:53 EST 1998

On Mon, 23 Mar 1998 00:17:01 -0900 (AKST), Kenelm Philip
<fnkwp at aurora.alaska.edu> wrote:

>	Tish Silberbauer & Dave Britton asked:
>
>> Is this NABA list generally recognized by the US butterflying community?
>
>I doubt that the U.S. butterflying community is that homogenous. There
>is certainly a sizeable segment that uses scientific names even in casual
>conversation. In the arctic, where practically no butterflies have true
>vernacular common names, I have rarely heard common names used by lepidop-
>terists. On the other hand, I have not run into NABA members in the arctic.

I have the same problem Ken; I started out on butterflies as a
scientist, and correspondingly had problems with common names.
Eventually you will run into someone who will ask, "Yeh, but what is
it *really* called."

>The history of science gives a clear answer to that question: wait until
>the older scientists die.  :-)

Umm...what if some of them were to have an "accident".  (Not really!!
They're worth their weight in gold!).
>							Ken Philip
>fnkwp at aurora.alaska.edu

cheers,

DaveB.

--
Dave & Tish
IRC: Mutah. Remove the offensive skin condition to email