Luna

Dale Clark nardoz at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 24 22:59:09 EST 1998

Chuck Garretson mentioned finding a female Actias luna 40 miles NW of
Dallas, Texas.  Most of the literature does state that the Dallas/Ft.
Worth area is too far west of A. luna's range, however this find only
validates many stories that I've heard over the past several years.  I
give talks on butterflies and butterfly gardening to local schools and
garden clubs and am often told by people that they've seen "the most
beautiful pale green moth that had long tails" around the Dallas area
(usually in the more rural areas). There's no confusing a luna moth. Two
women, when shown a specimen of a luna moth, recalled how several years
ago there were a good number of them at the Cotton Bowl one night during
a sporting event.  I've collected and raised butterflies for over 30
years and have NEVER seen a specimen of A. luna in the Dallas/Ft. Worth
area -- but everyone else seems to see them, so they are undoubtedly
there, although not nearly as widespread as the Polyphemus.  Who knows,
maybe this year...

And Chuck, if you're concerned about not having enough Sweet Gum leaves
-- let me know.  We've got plenty of them coming out now in Dallas.

Dale Clark
Butterflies Unlimited
10142 Estacado Drive
Dallas, Texas  75228