Pronunciation

Kenelm Philip fnkwp at aurora.alaska.edu
Mon Mar 30 14:13:53 EST 1998

	I have not seen an 'official' guide to the pronunciation of butter-
fly scientific names, although Comstock's book 'How to Know the Butterflies'
(1943) provides a partial guide by indicating which syllable (or syllables)
is (are) accented. However, even if there were one in the U.S., I fear it
would fail to work internationally. I spent some time in the field many
years ago with Dr. Olavi Sotavalta from Oulu, Finland--and he informed me
that in Europe people learned to pronounce Latin _correctly_, the way the
ancient Romans spoke it. And the way he pronounced scientific names was
like nothing I have ever heard at any Lep. Soc. meeting.  :-)

							Ken Philip
fnkwp at aurora.alaska.edu