Nymphalis feeding

Daniel Glaeske dglaeske at epping.ndak.net
Tue Mar 31 12:15:28 EST 1998

Kenelm Philip wrote:

>         _Nymphalis milberti_ (Milbert's Tortoise Shell) certainly feeds
> at flowers in Alaska. I do not recall having seen _N. antiopa_ (Mourning
> Cloak) doing so . . .
>         I have seen _Polygonia faunus_ (Green Comma) and _P. satyrus_
> (Satyr Anglewing) feeding at dandelions near Haines.
>
>                                                         Ken Philip
> fnkwp at aurora.alaska.edu

Haven't seen any N.vau-album here in North Dakota, and N. milberti is
rather uncommon and tends to occur early in spring or late in fall when
there is not a lot of nectar sources.  I have seen N.milberti puddling
at seeps in the badlands (probably rich in salts) as well as lilacs and
dandelions.  We have a pine tree alongside our house that exuded sap
last fall.  At one time I counted 2 N. antiopa, 7 Red Admirals and 3
Painted Ladies on a 12-foot high tree!  Occasionally I'd see antiopa
nectaring at the flowers near the pine tree (mainly Tithonia and
marigolds), but usually they were after the sap on the pine.  Actually,
I did see some antiopa in the spring on apple blossoms, but they may
have been after sap then, too.

Daniel
--

It's easy to find something worth dying for.
Do you have anything worth living

- Lorien to Captain Sheridan in the chasm on Z'Ha'Dum