Braconidae / Authorities

ROBERT BUTCHER R.D.J.BUTCHER at dundee.ac.uk
Thu May 14 06:03:56 EDT 1998

Hi everyone,
im on the scrounge for some very basic info. Sorry but our Braconidae
keys seem to have gone on holiday,/ loan, stolen, or whatever  some
time ago and ive just trolled through a bids search all last night
which has not revelaed the info. So basically with reference to the
following (Hymenoptera: Ichneumonoidae: Braconidae):-

(1) Does any one know the authority/ year for (Habro)Bracon
serinopae?

(2) Is the classification of (Habro)Bracon brevicornis Wesmael,
(Habro)bracon juglandis (Authority?) and (Habro)Bracon hebetor Say
resolved as to whether if they are the same species, sub-species or
what?

(3) Is (Habro)Bracon hebetor Say a species, sub-species complex or
species complex?

(4) Finally,  in all fields of biology outside of taxonomy there
seems to me to be an increasing trend of no longer quoting the
species authority in published work (animal and plant). However, i
was of the opinion that the authority is an essential part of the
species name for ID and lack of ambiguity. If this is no longer the
case can someone please inform me as to why, and what alternative
method we have instead of refering to original holo#paratypes,
voucher specimens, etc, so that we all know we are talking about the
same thing.
thanks in advance for all help etc.
Rob
Robert Butcher,
Evolutionary and Ecological Entomology Unit,
Department of Biological Sciences,
Dundee University,
Dundee, DD1 4HN,
Tayside, Scotland,
UK.
Work Phone:- 01382-344291 (Office), 01382-344756 (Lab).
Fax:- 01382-344864
e-mail:- r.d.j.butcher at dundee.ac.uk