Archips spp.

James J. Kruse kruse at nature.berkeley.edu
Thu May 21 14:51:16 EDT 1998

Hello,

I am a graduate student in Felix Sperling's lab at UC Berkeley.  We will
be conducting research on several populations of Archips argyrospilus
(Lep: Tortricidae) throughout the U.S. and hopefully a couple populations
in Canada. The aim of this research is to determine if host races or
pheromone differentiated populations of A. argyrospilus are divergent
enough to warrent formal recognition as full species, and at the
same time, determine relationships among the closely related species in
the complex (A. mortuanus, A. myricanus, A. eleagnanus).

I am currently in the process of securing specimens of A. argyrospilus,
A. mortuanus, A. myricanus and A. eleagnanus. I am hoping to find
contacts for obtaining these four species, especially host races or
pheromone biotypes of A. argyrospilus. I was wondering if you or anyone
you know would be able to supply 3 or more freshly killed (within a few
years) or preferably live specimens dropped into 95-100% ETOH of each
species or population. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. Please feel
free to forward this message to any person as appropriate.

Thank you very much!

Jim Kruse
University of California at Berkeley
Dept. of Environ Sci, Policy and Mgmt.