Common Checkered Skipper in CT

jhimmel at connix.com jhimmel at connix.com
Wed May 27 16:16:26 EDT 1998

Hello Lep-listers -

I played hookey from work this morning to do a little butterfly atlasing in my
area.  Did I pick the right day!

At one of my favorite spots, at the Madison Water Company property off N.
Chestnut Hill Road(permit needed), I came across Pyrgus communis (Common
Checkered Skipper)!  In CT, this is a rare vagrant.  I watched it nectar on
Multifora rose for a minute or so, before taking a swipe at it with a net.
Missed it by quarter of an inch!  It darted through the brush and disappeared.
I should have photographed it first, but I was too taken with this find, and I
enjoyed observing it for a while, since it didn't seem to be going anywhere.  An
hour search in the area turned up empty.  Too bad - this would have been a nice
addition to the CT But. Atlas project.

Also throughout that area was a strong population of Atrytonopsis hianna(Dusted
Skippers) - probably came across about 15 different individuals.  Haven't seen
them there since '95!

A Limenitis arthemis astyanax (Red-spotted Purple) stuck around for a while, a
very good number of Erynnis icelus (Dreamy Duskywings) and E. Baptisiae (Wild
Indigo Duskywings)were throughout, and later went on to find a field filled with
 Common Ringlets.

I may just play a little hookey again tommorrow.

Best -

John Himmelman
John Himmelman
Killingworth, CT USA