USA collection import regulations

Kenelm Philip fnkwp at
Tue Nov 17 15:53:13 EST 1998

	Doug Yanega stated that you need the Customs form 3-177 to bring
insect specimens into the U.S.. There is one other point to consider,
however. Some countries require export permits--and your specimens will
be contraband under the Lacey Act if they lack such an export permit when
the country of origin requires it. Some countries also require collecting
permits, and again you must then have that permit to be legal under the
Lacey Act.

	The F&WS cannot always tell you what the rules are for a given
foreign country. It is thus _your_ responsibility to ascertain which
permits are required, and to obtain them.

							Ken Philip
fnkwp at

More information about the Leps-l mailing list