Creation of newsgroup uk.rec.lepidoptera

ian john waller ian at ijwaller.demon.co.uk
Sun Nov 22 18:15:47 EST 1998

In article <911774523snz at nwjones.demon.co.uk>, Neil Jones
<Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk> writes
>I am agaist the creation of the new group
>and I am cross posting this to uk.net.news.config.
>1. There are not sufficient people to keep a uk only group
>going.

I think there are. It can't do any worse than sci.bio.homoptera.
>2. The group should not be in the the uk.rec hierarchy but I believe
>in a sci one

That is currently being discussed.
>3. Just to point out to those that don't know there is already a group
>sci.bio.entomology.lepidoptera.

That has also been pointed out.
>4. It will cause problems should people try to cross post.
>S.b.e.l. is gated with leps-l a list server this will cause
>problems when people reply to cross posted messages.

I'm not that technical I'll take your word for that, but what problems
will occur?.
>5. s.b.e.l. does not have a massive volume but the reason that it works
>is because of the gating with leps-L many keen people like myself
>are actually on leps-l not s.b.e.l .
I'm on both, as sometimes messages appear on one but not the other.
>I regularly talk with many lepidopterists
>and many of them can cope with email but do not use usenet.

I feel they are missing out. I can subscribe to over 30,000 newsgroups
and its not difficult to figure out how the system works.
--
ian john waller