Common Names and stuff

Alex danetherton at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 5 06:26:34 EDT 1998

Dear Friends;
Please do not think I am advocating NOT using binomials - no no. I taught
Environmental Education and was Nature director in summer camps for seven
years, and always impressed upon the students and campers the value of
"scientific names". This is a sort of "universal language" in naming, where
anyone in the world can understand anyone else. But when I talk about
Desmognathus ochrophaeus, you might not know what I was talking about lest I
gave you a clue.
As for common names in other languages, I for one really enjoyed the French
ones; they kind of roll of the tongue, don't you think? Even if I didn't
pronounce them right.
When I was working in the field with folks I got into the habit of using
Common Names from an accepted checklist, and gave the Latin names upon
demand. I guess I should get used to having my butterfly book nearby when
getting my e-mail so I can look stuff up.
In the field yesterday I saw what I think were two Painted Lady or
Cosmopolite (Vanessa cardui) locked in territorial combat or a mating dance
passing by quickly in Henderson County North Carolina. Isn't it a bit late
for that? They went by so fast in such a rolling flutter I couldn't be sure
of ID.
Also the Monarchs (Danaus plexippus) were down to just a few individuals, I
think migration is slowing down here. I also saw perhaps one Cloudless Giant
Sulphur (Phoebis sennae) lazily following a Southeasterly course.
Good Lepping;

Alex Netherton
Asheville NC
danetherton at earthlink.net