KillingButterflies

Roger C. KENDRICK kendrick at hkusua.hku.hk
Wed Oct 7 11:30:18 EDT 1998

Mike Soukup wrote:

> Nice thought....but, once again, nothing is without consequence.
> Thousands of acres of habitat in So. Cal. has been destroyed by
> "Silicon  Valley" in the quest to create the technology needed for the
> digital camera.  Then, to view or process the picture, you need a
> computer, which, once again, brings up the manufacturing process.  Then,
> there's the hydroelectric and nuclear power plants needed to create the
> electricity to power the computers, and the utility companies that cut
> power lines thru the wilderness and so on and so forth.  The bottom line
> is....there is no high moral ground!
> --
> Mike Soukup
> mikayak at ix.netcom.com
> Web Page => http://pw1.netcom.com/~mikayak
> click here to send E-mail=> mailto:mikayak at ix.netcom.com

 Point taken, Mike.

Don't they have a wee bit of sunshine in Silicon Valley - Makes me think they
could use some photovoltaic cells to put the sunshine to work (convert the
factory roof to be a energy provider) instead of relying on more traditional
electrical power. Sure, it costs money to do this, but to reduce traditional
power source consumption reduces the impact on greenhouse gas emissions and
reduces the need for potentially damaging (impacting on groundwater levels and
water consumption) hydro power; factors that may well cost far more in the long
term if conversion to solar power doesn't take place. (my cent's worth of
mitigation!)

regards,
Roger.
Roger C. KENDRICK   B.Sc.(Hons.)
PhD student & Demonstrator, Dept of Ecology & Biodiversity
The University of Hong Kong
mailto:kendrick at hkusua.hku.hk
http://web.hku.hk/~kendrick/hkmoth.htm   « Hong Kong Moths »
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Canopy/1085/   « H.K. Lepidoptera Group »