Euthalia aconthea gurda

John Grehan jrg13 at psu.edu
Wed Oct 14 14:09:40 EDT 1998

>The caterpillars of Euthalia aconthea gurda (Fruhstorfer) (Nymphalidae:
>Nymphalinae) are described as having "delicately branched spines radiating
>horizontally from the body". These spines are green in colour. Would anyone
>know whether the spines are for defensive purpose (in which case they could
>sting and cause itchiness) or are they for camouflage. Your replies would be
>appreciated.

I'll just be my usual anoying self and point out (in repetition) that
whether or
not the spines sting or cause ichiness or make the insect difficult to see by
predators etc., this does not demonstrate a purpose for either defense or
camouflage. By definition no one can know that the spines are for defensive
or camouflage purpose since one would have to know the ultimate nature of
the university (equivalent to being god or a god).

John Grehan