airtight storage how?

Doug Yanega dyanega at mono.icb.ufmg.br
Thu Oct 15 10:15:06 EDT 1998

Paul Cherubini wrote:

>Unlike nicotine and moth ball type fumigants, Vapona is a low odor
>fumigant and safe for humans and warm blooded animals in low
>concentrations

For some reason, I can't locate the archive I had that included references
to published studies on this, but the bottom line is it is NOT safe for
humans, and just because something is legal and widely-used does not make
it safe. I'm sure you're aware of the history of DDT, for example? Try
this: if it is so safe, then why did two of the major insect collections I
worked in *remove* all their vapona (little cut-up pieces of no-pest
strips) after reading reports on its toxicity?
Surely there must be someone else on this list who has references to the
toxicity of various fumigants?

Peace,

Doug Yanega    Depto. de Biologia Geral, Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas,
Univ. Fed. de Minas Gerais, Cx.P. 486, 30.161-970 Belo Horizonte, MG   BRAZIL
phone: 31-499-2579, fax: 31-499-2567  (from U.S., prefix 011-55)
                  http://www.icb.ufmg.br/~dyanega/