Antennae vs. antennas

DR. JAMES ADAMS jadams at Carpet.dalton.peachnet.edu
Wed Oct 21 10:40:03 EDT 1998

Dear listers,

Rick Mikula wrote:
> I do programs for 100+ schools a year from pre-K to College. Do not
> sell the younger children short. In most cases "tongue" would not be tolerated
> and would inspire a chorus of "proboscis" to arise from the
> students. As with everthing else, if they enjoy the subject,
> tech terms will eventually become easier for them. If you ever dealt with 2nd or
> 3rd graders, then you know you better not make a mistake. But they are there to
> learn so let them learn at their pace.

I can't agree more.  I truly believe children are capable of so much
more than most of us give them credit for, and the whole point of
giving programs to people is to *teach* them something.  I grant you,
there are times when it may be appropriate to use non-scientific
terms, but even *adults* can learn new terms, so why not use the
opportunity to teach them the terms?!  You don't need to go into
excruciating detail about each structure you talk about -- i.e., the
proboscis is a hollow or "straw-like" mouthpart for sipping.  Hey, if
they don't remember the term later, so what?  Clearly if this
happens, then the term was not important enough for them to put in
permanent memory.  But at least during the presentation they'll know
what you're talking about, and most will remember the terms later
anyway.  I still think that if you are against using such terms then
you are insulting your audience, suggesting that they can't learn, or
worse, they don't *want* to learn, anything new!  As I said above, if
the terms don't stick, so be it.  But we are here to *enlighten*.  If
I go to some presentation, or to some meetings, and don't learn
something new, then I feel slighted.  Give the public the credit it
deserves.  And please, don't "dumb-down" any talks for me!!

                     james