Taxinomic list of world Lepidoptera

Ian Thirlwell Ian at dunlinclose.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Oct 22 14:37:50 EDT 1998

Jonathan Sylvestre wrote:
>Please, help me !
>
>    I need a list of all lepidoptera starting at the order lepidoptera
level
>and including the family level ,if possible, ending at the subfamily
>level...

As is apparent from the messages posted in response to Jonathan's request,
Lepidopteran taxonomy is not a fixed entity. Different lepidopterists have
their own ideas on the relationships that make up the structures between
Order and Species. If there is a single world list available it will only
represent the view of a particular group of taxonomists. The trouble is the
relationships are based on differing views of the priority of, sometimes
microscopic, features in determining those relationships.

Ian Thirlwell
Hampshire
England