Belize Butterflies

Phil Schappert philjs at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Oct 23 09:49:14 EDT 1998

On 22 Oct 1998 13:31:34 -0700, Burnetted at aol.com wrote:
>So here's my question:  Are there any resources (books, monographs, etc.) for
>field identification of butterflies in Belize?  I hope to go again next summer
>and would love to be able to record what I see.  (I won't be doing a
>collection, just field identification and photography.)

Dennis,

Belize is close enough that the two-volume set on the Butterflies of
Costa Rica by Phil DeVries should be what you're looking for. The
first volume covers Papilionidae, Pieridae and Nymphalidae while the
second deals only with the Riodinids. For Lycaenids and Hesperids
you're on your own (until the next volume?).

Phil

--
Dr. Phil Schappert
Zoology, University of Texas