Antennae vs. antennas

Neil Jones Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 24 15:07:51 EDT 1998

Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 07:13:21 -0400
From: Mike Soukup <mikayak at ix.netcom.com>
To: fnkwp at aurora.alaska.edu
CC: leps-l at lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: Antennae vs. antennas
Sender: owner-leps-l at lists.yale.edu

Mike Soukup wrote:

> And, I would like to mention that, Mr. Glassberg has ALREADY began
> petitioning his congressman to make collecting of ANY lep illegal.  And,
> THAT course of action is simply wrong.  (ie....you can't convince people
> logically that collecting is wrong - so you get the force of the federal
> government to back one's extremist view....as quietly as possible so as
> not to awaken the dissenters before it's too late!)

I believe that this is misinformation. It is pretty typical of what spreads
around the collecting community. The Amateur Entomological Society  here
in the UK had to print an apology recently after saying similar things
about Butterfly Conservation.

A similar point has been made about Jeff Glassberg before by Hans Schnauber.
Many people will know Mr Schnauber due to his novel ideas and business
practices which were described in one prominent US newspaper as
"cybersquatting".

On that occasion the allegation was made on Dplex-l the Monarch discussion
group. The following posting was made by Bob Pyle a very prominent and
respected US lepidopterist.

> Relayed from Jeff Glassberg, President, North American Butterfly
> Association, at his request:

> >> should be outlawed:"  Hans Schnauber

> >> Dear Bob,
> >I am a member of the New York Bar, and believe that the statement by
> >Hans Schnauber that I "am promoting the outlawing of collecting" is
> >slanderous and legally actionable. The facts are that neither I nor NABA
> >has ever done nor said anything to promote laws to make collecting
> >butterflies illegal.  Further, NABA is not "opposed to collecting" but
> >rather collecting butterflies is not one of the purposes of NABA -- a
> >vastly different thing. In fact, the inaugural issue of NABA's magazine,
> >American Butterflies, said that NABA was not in opposition to groups for
> >whom collecting was a legitimate function.
> >	I would appreciate it if you could relay this message to Hans
> >Schnauber, and to whatever forum these slanderous comments appeared.
> >Please let me know if this is not possible.
> >Best wishes,
> >Jeffrey Glassberg

Commenting further on Mr Schnauber. It is noticable that one of the
Board members of his "International Federation of Butterfly Enthusiasts"
( named with apparently typical grandiose magniloquence ;-) ) has been
one of the most vehement in attacking Jeff Glassberg.

I note Mike Soukup's political interpretation of the situation. This becomes
even more interesting when you find that Mr Schnauber has been promoting
his "IFBE" in American militia circles.
The concept of the "Butterfly Militia" is one that I find more than mildly
amusing.

--
Neil Jones- Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk http://www.nwjones.demon.co.uk/
butterflies?" Andrew Lees - The quotation on his memorial at Crymlyn Bog