Fall baiting

James J. Kruse kruse at nature.berkeley.edu
Fri Oct 30 16:18:55 EST 1998

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, John Grehan wrote:

>  I respnse to query by Larry Sweeney, I use a mix of molasses, brown
>sugar, beer (cheaper and less fit for human consumption the better - to
>save money), and over-ripe banana. Pasted onto tree trunks at about 5
>feet (1.5 meters) about three hours before dusk. Trees are checked at
>dusk until about half hour after dark.

You people are making me home sick! I used to bait often in the late fall,
and early spring. Even in Wisconsin, in the dead of winter, you could go
out during a warm spell when the snow gave up some ground and expect to
find moths at your bait.

Anyhow, apple cider vinegar, even cheaper than the best priced  (not
taste, usually) beer, works just as well!

Good Luck!
Jim Kruse
University of California at Berkeley
Dept. of Environ Sci, Policy and Mgmt.
Div. of Insect Biology
201 Wellman Hall
Berkeley, California, 94720-3112
Voice: (510) 642-7410    Fax: (510) 642-7428
http://www.cnr.berkeley.edu/sperlinglab/kruse.html