Wings

John Grehan jrg13 at psu.edu
Thu Sep 10 11:30:15 EDT 1998

>I would think that the best empirical evidence of purpose in butterfly wings
>would be the huge cost associated with metamorphosis.  Surely there must be
>a good reason for this developmental miracle.  What the primary purpose is
>can only be speculated, but there is good evidence that finding and
>attracting mates, dispersing to new plants and locations, solar energy
>collecting/warming, and avoiding predation are all at the top of the list.
>
>Mark Walker.

It might be a bit circular to say that "surely" there must be a good
reason, since
wings exist its hard to say that there isn't a "good reason" (whatever that
might
mean in the natural world).

Wings might function in finding mates, dispersing, warming, avoiding
predation. These
are empirical observations. They say nothing, however, about purpose.

Sincerely, John Grehan