Buying Livestock

Graham Dixon Troubleatmill at btinternet.com
Mon Sep 14 17:35:51 EDT 1998

Point of view from an enthusiastic ameteur.

Interesting discussions about the rights and wrongs of advertising livestock
on this group. Personally it doesn't bother me one way or another.

Nice to see that most parties are being civil about it and that it is not
de-generating into a slanging match.

What concerns me is the following (no names mentioned) is that in the past,
when I have mentioned (on the group) various species found in my garden
(wild species) I have had offers to buy larvae/pupae.

I would never use anything "wild" for commercial gain. I wonder if this
justifies dealing with captive bred specimens.

Maybe I am naive, but until I joined this group, i didn't realise that our
little friends were in such demand.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of members:-

(a) Have a "no kill" policy.
(b) Kill specimens for a "collection" (hunting instinct)
(c) Kill / Breed for scientific study
(d) Breed for conservation purposes
(e) Breed for commercial gain

--