I'm in trouble

Semjase semjase at aol.com
Wed Sep 16 21:30:05 EDT 1998

>There is no correct functioning group.  This is as good as it gets and if I
>>could I would love to leave all the professionals, stuffed shirts, kill joys
>&
>>experts far behind.
>
>Well, in that case perhaps you should argue your case for a
>'rec.lepidoptera' group to be set up where less 'scientific' things
>are discussed. Remember, this is a sci. group where one would expect
>scientific things to be discussed - but necessarily by professional
>entomologists.
>
>And as for the "professionals, stuffed shirts, kill joys & experts"
>comment, I like to think that I'm neither - but others may disagree on
>any or all of those points! :-)
>
>How about this as a fair compromise: A post discussing how to keep or
>breed a species is certainly well within the charter guidelines. [ I
>would love to learn a bit about keeping Saturnids from some of the
>many 'experts' out there]. If that post were _also_ to include a
>request for something else or an advert that the author had some spare
>to swap then - fine. That way a) the charter is adhered to b) we can
>all learn something and c) the author gets a chance to advertise his
>spare livestock.
>
>What I think is (slightly) objectionable is people just posting
>one-liners advertising spare livestock or deadstock with no intention
>of contributing anything to group discussion.
>
>Chris R.

You Bring up an important point.   Neither of the people responsible for the
fire storm have spoken for themselves.

I do know that Barrie does not answer e-mails and if posting to a group with an
ad one would expect taking responsibility for answering the mail & question it
generates.   In other words to be giving instead of just taking.

Perhaps though if we do all pull out and this group collapses it would be for
the best since amateur entomologists & lepidopterists are not welcome here.
That is plain enough to see.

Not like the Astronomers at all.

S.