Monarch Migration Through Toronto

Donald A. Davis donald.davis at utoronto.ca
Sat Sep 19 22:29:36 EDT 1998

This afternoon, there was a good migration of monarch butterflies
through the Leslie Street Spit (Tommy Thompson Park) on the Toronto
waterfront. The Spit is an L-shaped man-made peninsula that stretches
about 5 km out into Lake Ontario - constructed of building rubble,
bricks, concrete pieces, etc and covered with soil. It contains many
large areas that are filled with goldenrod, New England Aster, and other
flowering plants.

The sky was slightly overcast - I'm not sure how much of that was smog -
and the wind varied from none at all to a slight breeze.

This afternoon, I was able to tag over 300 monarch butterflies in 4
hours.

Apparently there have been some large roostings of monarchs seen in
certain parts of the eastern United States, while in other areas,
monarchs are scarce.

Don Davis
Toronto, ON