KillingButterflies

Mike Soukup mikayak at ix.netcom.com
Sun Sep 20 18:21:01 EDT 1998

"Collect or dissect,
  the necessity of either I would like to be convinced of.  Try me."

Necessity??  There is NO necessity.  But, since when do we limit our
actions to necessity?  Do we "need" cars with the pollution and the
millions of "road kill" victims (including butterflies).  Hell, for that
matter, with todays technology and nutritional supplements...do we NEED
to eat living things?  Probably not.  Do we need urban blight and
suburban sprawl destroying millions of acres of habitat every year.
No....I don't THINK so.  So, at this point, what we "need" is
irrelevent.

There is no reason to re-ignite the collecting debate here again....it
naturally occurs every year as lep season dies down.  But, just to let
you know, the reason there are so few leps in England has little to do
with collecting (except in a few cases).  It has MUCH MORE to do with
the fact that they build a strip mall in an area that was formerly prime
habitat for some butterfly.  Now, i'm SURE you would pull into the gas
station(which, when built, destroyed a colony of checkerspots), fuel up
your auto (with polluting fossil fuels), and drive down the road
smashing several butterflies on your grille on the way back to your
house (which was built in an area where a rare type of blue used to
live), get on your computer and say "we really shouldn't be teaching our
children about killing butterflies".

	Get some perspective....
--
Mike Soukup