Killing Butterflies

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Wed Sep 23 01:23:43 EDT 1998

Alex Netherton wrote:

> [...]
	While I can appreciate this response, I have to argue with Alex that
the correct response to the roadkill problem is not to ask the relatively
few people who are collecting to put their nets down, but rather attempt to
limit the greater destruction.  If even a fraction of the butterflies being
destroyed by habitat destruction were preserved, we would not tend to be so
concerned about the ridiculously small number that are collected each year.
Game hunters have been using this argument for years, and who can argue if
in fact the game populations are in fact stabilized.  Wildlife and habitat
management is the key - we shouldn't have to resort to a moratorium on
collecting until the situation becomes irreparable.  Please encourage a
solution to the greater problem before you ask us bug wierdos to quit our
hobbies.

	I see the situation something like this:  Once there was this big
forest, which supported a great diversity of insects and a few insect
collectors, all living happily together, when to the astonishment of all,
the forest begins to be torn down.  Little by little, most of the forest is
cleared away until all that is left to be seen are these few pathetic insect
collectors frantically searching about for the insects they love so much.
When the rest of the world sees that there are no more bugs, these insect
collectors look like children with their hands in the cookie jar.  It just
ain't right.

	Mark Walker.