light levels

John Calvert STRATFORD_BUTTERFLY_FARM at compuserve.com
Sat Sep 26 10:57:07 EDT 1998

Can anyone point me in the direction of literature and/or research on
levels (lux) of artificial light required by tropical butterflies in order
to fly.  I know there different requirements between species, I'm looking
for info. concerning Papilionidae (eg Papilio spp., Graphium spp.);
Nymphalids (eg Hypolimnas spp., Precis spp., Charaxes spp., Hamadryas
spp.); Danaus spp.; Caligo spp.;  Heliconidae etc.

I'm also wondering if in addition to intensity, there are wavelength
requirements.

Any help, advice, info. greatfully appreciated.

Thanks

Martin Jewiss.
Stratford-upon-Avon Butterfly Farm.