thoas swallowtail

J Shields truezane at loop.com
Sun Sep 27 02:41:52 EDT 1998

Over the past ten days, I have seen very large (bigger than a western
tiger) swallowtails in my backyard four times.  One one occasion, I saw
two of them.  From the books I have, they appear to be papilio thoas,
but my area (los angeles) appears to be out of their range.  I have a
photo of one of them resting on a tomato plant.  I have not been able to
ascertain a definite heading - they seem to come into my yard between
one and two pm, hang around for ten minutes, then fly off north and
south.  If this interests anyone, or if anyone has any information on
thoas in the southern california area, please contact me.  Thanks.