migrating butterflies

Alex danetherton at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 28 11:27:36 EDT 1998

Thanks Jim.
In the Audubon's book on Butterflies the author states that these others
emigrate North in the late summer, lay eggs, and they AND the eggs/larvae
are killed by the frost.  He says that none of them make it back South in
the Winter as does the Monarch. In contrast I have seen Cloudless Giant
Sulphur moving Southward here in the Mountains in September, and also on the
coast of NC and GA. I have also seen Buckeyes, and Giant Southern White on
the coast of Georgia moving South in September.
I don't think I have ever seen such a movement of P. sennae here in Western
NC as I have seen this year; almost as many P. sennae as Monarch.
Alex Netherton
Asheville NC
danetherton at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~danetherton