Speyeria diana

Neil Jones Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 4 08:40:37 EDT 1999

In article <922325426.25410.957 at excite.com>
           timbukt2 at excite.com "Charles Gavette" writes:

> Does anyone else think that it would be possible to re-introduce S. diana
> into its original position in the Ohio River Valley? I am willing to invest
> the time and effort if this is at all feasible. I live in Indiana and can
> procure rearing space for life cycle studies. I have experience rearing
> fritillaries, but not the Diana. If someone is already raising S. diana, or
> if I must obtain a special permit, please let me know. Hopefully, I will be
> afield there this spring and summer (intermittently) documenting host flora
> of the river counties, keeping secondarily in mind the less common sphinxes
> and their hosts.

This is a common idea for many species. It is regularly advocated by
butterfly breeders. Unfortunately it is not very easy to do at all.
The evidence from the UK is that with the exception of a few species
introductions of this kind do not work well at all.
It isn't just a matter of releasing a species in a place that _looks_ suitable.
It requires a great deal of study first.

--
Neil Jones- Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk http://www.nwjones.demon.co.uk/
butterflies?" Andrew Lees - The quotation on his memorial at Crymlyn Bog