Introductions

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Mon Apr 5 08:00:04 EDT 1999

It may be important to know whether the cause of the original die-off or
die-out is no longer operative.  For example, the broadcast use of
pesticides to control Gypsy Moths probably considered to major die-offs
and probably extirpations of several woodland butterflies (not to
mention lots of other insects---fortunately for the agrochem industry,
not the Gypsy Moth).

	If pest control philosophies and procedures change, then the
habitat would be conducive to reintroduction, assuming that colonists
of the appropriate genotype could be used.

	Where habitat fragmentation is the cause of die-offs, then it
is likely that the same fate will befall introductions, sooner-or-later.

	But, it finally depends more on ones individual philosophy
regarding "management" vs "letting nature take its course".  Since we
don't let nature take its course when we eliminate habitat and
organisms, I'm not in favor of waiting for nature, when we have the
opportunity to restore habitats or populations.
	The tragedy is that we have to wait for a species to become
endangered, before action is taken to protect it.

M. Gochfeld