Introductions

Paul Cherubini paulcher at concentric.net
Mon Apr 5 07:05:34 EDT 1999

Michael Gochfeld wrote:

> It may be important to know whether the cause of the original die-off or
> die-out is no longer operative.  For example, the broadcast use of
> pesticides to control Gypsy Moths probably considered to major die-offs
> and probably extirpations of several woodland butterflies (not to
> mention lots of other insects---fortunately for the agrochem industry,
> not the Gypsy Moth).

Major die-offs and extinctions of woodland leps were going on long before we had
pesticides. There are a variety of causes. City born and bred folks that have no experience
with pesticides attribute practically any problem to pesticides. So do their city born and
bred teachers and professors.

Millions of farmers, on the other hand, know that the killing power of available
insecticides is remarkably limited. Far from being environmental sterilizing agents,
insecticides typically provide a temporary dent in a population from which insects recover
in a matter of weeks.  No one involved in Gypsy Moth control projects here in the USA
expects pesticides to erradicate this species. It is hoped they will limit the damage and
spread of the species, probably only to a small degree.

Paul Cherubini, El Dorado, California