First Monarch Butterfly Sightings Wanted

Donald A. Davis donald.davis at utoronto.ca
Tue Apr 6 01:15:30 EDT 1999

Journey North, an internet-based program that allows school children to
follow the arrival of spring across North America through reports of
"first sightings" , is now in its 6th year. About 4000 classrooms in
Canada and the U.S.A. make use of the data provided by generous
observers.

The program needs your first sightings of migrating monarch butterflies.
The most northerly report I have seen to date comes from Oklahoma, with
many sightings in the southern states.

We could also use your first sightings of hummingbird, oriole, leaf out
(aspen, dogwood, redbud), earthworm and other species.

To learn more about the program, go to: www. learner.org/jnorth. To
report data directly to the program, you must register with the program.
However, I would be glad to forward you first monarch butterfly
sightings ONLY.

Reports should include date, your name and e-mail address, place
sighting took place (along with lat. and long. if available), and any
other relevant information or observations.

In southern Ontario, we've had a few days of warm weather. So we are
beginning to see a few mourning cloaks and eastern commas.

Don Davis
Toronto ON