Introduction of Black Hairstreak

Niklas Wahlberg niklas.wahlberg at helsinki.fi
Wed Apr 7 11:43:06 EDT 1999

Nigel,
   I would also like to comment on your opinion from the point of view of a
population ecologist working also in conservation issues. Being very
interested in metapopulations (sets of populations that remain viable due
to an equilibrium of extinctions and colonizations to put it very simply),
I realize the importance of occassional long distance colonizations for the
long term persistence of a species in a fragmented landscape. We use (very
simplified) models to study these situations and one very important
parameter is the movement ability of the species being studied. Unknown
introductions may be interpreted as natural long distance colonizations and
would give a rosier view of the species ability to persist in the more and
more fragmented natural world.
   I tried to make this short I hope it is comprehensible! Besides what's
so difficult about reporting to somebody that you have introduced a
population of some species?

Cheers,
Niklas

At 11:46 7.4.1999 GMT, Nigel wrote:
>Ian,
>Oh come on! Dream on do you live on the same planet as the rest of us! What
>sort of platform are you standing on! Please give me your discription of
>what other species (given your comprehensive understanding of the issue)
>are now having to compete? Get a life and start to do something positive
>about butterfly protection instead of the usual "pontification" from you
>lot that talks a lot and acheives nothing? It's people like you that is
>responsible for drastically reducing the AES (Amateur Entomologists
>Society) membership when then ELG (Entomological Lifestock Group) prospers
>at your expense! Keep this public I am keen to see how you answer this one!
>
>Nigel

   Niklas Wahlberg
   Department of Ecology and Systematics
   Division of Population Biology