Fairfax Co. VA

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Thu Apr 8 20:08:06 EDT 1999

What a day in the U.S. Capitol region.  Over 80 degrees F.  My wife is home
in SoCal freezing her nalgas off.  I'm here enjoying the early spring
butterflies of the eastern U.S.  Thanks to Harry Pavulaan, who joined me in
a sweltering hike along Bull's Run.  Here's what we saw:

Eurytides marcellus (Zebra Swallowtail) - 7
Papilio glaucus (Eastern Tiger Swallowtail) - 10
(including two black females)
Pieris rapae (Cabbage White) - > 20
Anthocharis midea (Falcate Orangetip) - > 30
Colias philodice (Clouded Sulpher) - 4
Colias eurytheme (Orange Sulpher) - 6
Eurema nicippe (Sleepy Orange) - 3
Feniseca tarquinius (Harvester) - 1 (no pos id)
Callophrys henrici (Henry's Elfin) - 2
Strymon melinus (Gray Hairstreak) - 1
Everes comyntas (Eastern Tailed Blue) - 1
Celastrina ??? (Harry knows) (Spring Azure) - 6
Polygonia comma (Eastern Comma) - 5
Erynnis juvenalis (Juvenal's Duskywing) - 12

Awesome.

Mark Walker
visiting Fairfax, VA