O. Gothica and early moths

Alan5319 at aol.com Alan5319 at aol.com
Sat Apr 10 04:56:32 EDT 1999

Hi Ian,

With reference to the O. gothica colour; I was referring to the red - brown
form that stops short of ad gothicina. If you have Skinner, Plate 31, 9 and
10 illustrate the difference.

We had a wild night in the trap last night - Thursday Night. There are over
90 moths in there. This is a very high total for this time of the year. The
notable oddity was a female  Pavonia pavonia (Emperor Moth). Not only is this
early but it is certainly a first for our trap. There are many records for
Co. Durham but none from this area, it always nice to see something new.

The other thing of note was the number of diptera in the trap. It would not
be an exaggeration to say that there are hundreds of thousands.

Scraping them together on the tray we ended up with a pile the was 10mm deep
x 260mm long x 70 mm wide. This is a total volume of 182,000 cu. mm.

Each fly is very approximately.25 cu mm, this suggests some 546,000 of the
wee beasts. This is a very rough calculation but it will have to suffice as
we have no intention of counting them.

Alan & Jeri Coates