what are poisons for traps?

Barrie Harwood Barrie.Harwood at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 13 21:48:34 EDT 1999

Poison in moth traps !!!!!

Good grief - is this the dark ages? I cannot believe that there are still
entomologists out there who feel they have to kill every insect to study it.

Why on earth is it necessary to put 'poison' in a moth trap. Surely it right
and proper to screen the trap for those species you really want and
releasing the others under cover of darkness rather than commiting wholesale
slaughter.

Am I the only person to beleive this to be the right approach?

Barrie
Alan5319 at aol.com wrote in message ...
>Dear Dalius,
>
>There are many types of viable poisons for moth traps. Many of these we
have
>no experience of, but we are also acutely aware that many may not be
>available in certain parts of the world.
>
>Although not necessarily the best and most effective of poisons, the leaves
>of the Cherry Laurel (Prunus laurocerasus) can be used to good effect.
Newly