Help identifying a moth...

Pierre Zagatti zagatti at versailles.inra.fr
Fri Apr 16 03:22:54 EDT 1999

Although it's really hazardous to identify a critter with vague descriptions,
the black and white pattern with spots OUTLINED suggest an arctiid
belonging to the genus Hypercompe (= Ecpantheria).

You may have a look at a tropical Hypercompe at:
http://www.jouy.inra.fr/papillon/arctiid/texteng/h_icasie.htm

but species occuring in the US show darker spots with higher contrast.

Pierre