Enthusiasts vs industry in introducing exotics

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Sun Aug 1 07:37:01 EDT 1999

It's interesting to hear different views about the introductions. Were
they due to "the establishment" or "individual enthusiasts". The same
controversy could exist over the introduction of the Africanized bees to
the New World.

When I visited Manaus in 1975, Dr. Warwick Kerr proudly gave me his side
of the story.  As a bee geneticist, he was convinced that there was
beneficial potential in the African stock (unfortunately a disgruntled
technician released his African bees).

Dr. Kerr could easily be described (and I'm sure would have accepted the
description) as an "enthusiast" rather than an "industry" or
"government" entity. Although he was employed by a State university, the
introduction was clearly individual initiative.

The day before I met him, he had given HIS story to a Brazilian media,
for by that time the "killer" bees were already a widespread problem in
Brazil.

As a postscript, I heard some years ago that Mexican Bee Keepers
actually preferred the Africanized bees once they learned how to handle
them safely.  The media obviously thrives on the advancing front of the
Killer Bees (the advancing front of Dengue, probably more of a killer,
does not get the same attention.

M. Gochfeld