question re subfamilies of Noctuidae

O.G. Marti, Jr. omarti at tifton.cpes.peachnet.edu
Mon Aug 2 13:54:56 EDT 1999

Suppose you encountered a listing of subfamilies of Noctuidae in
which the following occurred:

.
.
Catocalinae                no quotes
"Othreiinae"               in  quotes
"Catocalinae"             in quotes
.
.
In addition to this, the person making the list elsewhere (in another
list) used Ophiderinae as one of the subfamilies of the Noctuidae,
and "Othreiinae" is not encountered.  I am following Poole in his
usage of Ophiderinae and Catocalinae and I need to know what to
do with "Othreiinae".  Do they belong in Ophiderinae, and the
"Catocalinae" in quotes belong in the Catocalinae, as per Poole?
I need to make a listing of Catocalinae and Ophiderinae as used by
Poole but I don't know how to deal with the above, so info on these
points will be greatly appreciated.

O.G. Marti, Jr.        omarti at tifton.cpes.peachnet.edu
Orville G. Marti, Jr., Microbiologist
USDA, ARS, IBPMRL