question re subfamilies of Noctuidae

Pierre Zagatti zagatti at versailles.inra.fr
Tue Aug 3 05:58:04 EDT 1999

Hello Orville,

All valid family and subfamily names should follow a simple rule:
they have the same prefix as their type genus.
Now Catocala is a valid genus name whereas Othreis is not, it's a synomym

of Eudocima Billberg. So the name Othreiinae is not valid.
Poole, among others, found that the quadrifids related to Catocala are so

different from the quadrifids related to Ophideres that they should
belong to
different subfamilies.  OK it's a scientific opinion, but the problem is
that
Ophideres is a non-valid synonym of Eudocima too (Poole), so the name
Ophiderinae should be replaced by Eudociminae or something like that.
However, this should be published as a decision of the International
Commission for Zoological Nomenclature.

Quotes in family or subfamily names often refer to a previously published
work,
which does not match with your present work, so "Ophiderinae" may be
another
way to write Ophiderinae _sensu_ Poole. This is specially important if
you mention
old works where "Catocalinae" (syn Erebinae) contain both Catocalinae and
Ophiderinae
sensu Poole.

This becomes very complex, sometimes I feel that Noctuid taxonomy was
invented
by the owners of the Aspirin Company. To summarize, Othreiinae is always
synomym of Ophiderinae. Ophiderinae may be changed in the future in
another name.
The only way for us, mortal entomologists, to publish coherent lists, is
to precise
the systematic source of the names we use. Since Poole's catalogue is the
most
important and recent work, just follow it.

--
Pierre ZAGATTI
INRA Unite de Phytopharmacie et Mediateurs Chimiques
e-mail zagatti at versailles.inra.fr
http://www.jouy.inra.fr/papillon/