Admirals and Painted Lady Names

RENE BOUTIN rboutin at sympatico.ca
Thu Aug 12 21:40:14 EDT 1999

Chris J. Durden wrote:

> E.B. Ford in "Butterflies* (Collins New Nature Series, about 1949)
> gives some history of early common names used by the Aurelians, a
> group of London collectors in the 18'th century.
> As I recall, it was originally "THE RED ADMIRABLE" and "THE WHITE
> ADMIRABLE".
> Nabokov may have had an aside on this in "Speak Memory".
> ..........Chris Durden
>
> At 07:14 7/08/99 -0700, you wrote:
> >>>>

>      Does anyone know the origin of the names "White and Red Admiral"
> and "Painted Lady" (Limenitis and Vanessa) in Britiain? I believe they
> are very old names. If you do know, a literature reference would be
> helpful. Thank
>
>      Cris Guppy
>      4627 Quesnel-Hydraulic Road
>      Quesnel, B.C. V2J 6P8
>      CANADA
>      (250) 747-1512 (h) 992-4490 (w)
>      E-mail: <mailto:cguppy at quesnelbc.co>cguppy at quesnelbc.com
>
> <<<<

The WHITE ADMIRAL was voted INSECT EMBLEM of Quebec last year.
update on the variegated fritillary I caught a month ago in my yard:
    I got 11 caterpillars on my violas, I didn`t think they were it, now
they are turning into chrysalis and from the picture in J.P.Laplante`s
book,this is it.I guess we will all know soon.
       Also I have been having a lot of success rearing:   P.Polyxenes

Aglais milberti

antiopa antiopa

paited ladies

interrogationis

red admiral

viceroy

monarchs

colias philodice

blindeyed sphinx

lunas

polyphemus

cecropias

variegated fritillary
   the butterflies are still mating laying eggs and multiplying....

--
Venez voir mon site ...

 Rene Boutin
 33 St-Georges