mystery moths

Roger C. KENDRICK kendrick at hkusua.hku.hk
Sat Aug 14 10:04:20 EDT 1999

Hi Bill,

This sounds as though it could be the same species of Agrotis or Euxoa that
I recall seeing on a wildlife program a year or so ago about Grizzlies.
Apparently they feast on aestivating noctuid moths that while away the hot
months by migrating upto the cooler altitudes and sitting out the summer in
caves and sheltered hollows. I guess the moths think that the homes are
located in a suitably appropriate microclimate to aestivate in and adopt the
same idea as us - a home to humans would once have been a cave! As to how
they get in - air vents would be a good bet.

Hope this helps,

Roger.

--
Roger C. KENDRICK
  Demonstrator / Ph.D. Student
  mailto:kendrick at hkusua.hku.hk

Hong Kong Moths website coordinator
  http://web.hku.hk/~kendrick/hkmoth.htm

HK Lepidopterists' Society (English version)
  http://members.xoom.com/hkls/