new books from China

Roger C. KENDRICK kendrick at hkusua.hku.hk
Tue Aug 17 16:30:28 EDT 1999

Hi Andrea et al,

For anyone interested, they may wish to consider contacting someone visiting
China in order to get any of the books mentioned. I have access to most of
these via the University of Hong Kong library and can say that I'd not be
paying the asking prices  - which are extremely steep mark-ups on the prices
paid in China or even over the counter in Hong Kong (if stocked - very
difficult to find due to lack of copies making it this far south of
Beijing). The print quality is not too wonderful, there are few or no colour
illustrations, the b/w ills. are usually not sufficiently accurate to aid
species identification and the taxonomy has suffered through the lack of
funding available to Chinese taxonomists preventing access to much current
(and many past) publications from outside China. This doesn't sound too good
- so I should say that I have found several of the listed books useful for
working out species distributions of some of the Hong Kong species, but it
takes far more time than I'm willing to invest to sort out all the outdated
nomenclature, which is my main source of angst with these publications.

Sorry if this puts you off - I'd recommend trying to view copies before you
decide to buy.

Roger.

--
Roger C. KENDRICK
  Demonstrator / Ph.D. Student
  mailto:kendrick at hkusua.hku.hk

Hong Kong Moths website coordinator
  http://web.hku.hk/~kendrick/hkmoth.htm

HK Lepidopterists' Society (English version)
  http://members.xoom.com/hkls/