libraries and evolution teaching

Neil Jones Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 19 16:51:11 EDT 1999

In message <19990811.225826.14966.2.kalos2 at juno.com> Daniel L Robinson writes:

> On Tue, 17 Aug 1999 07:59:17 -0400 John Grehan <jrg13 at psu.edu> writes:
>
> >If students are taught the basics of scientific enquiry - the ability
> >think critically and ask questions. . .
>

> *This* is the essential missing ingredient. " You boys". . . borrowing
> from a phrase used by my favorite lister. . . need to remember that you
> are the overcomers.  You are the few who made it across the bridge and
> past the "thought police".  I would really question, though, how many of
> you have really taken the time to consider the evidence for the Biblical
> version of creation.

I have . The evidence is patent nonsense.

> Most of us on the other side of the bridge grow up on a steady diet of
> evolution and only evolution.  We are not taught to question assumptions
> such as the "millions and billions",  or that layering necessarily
> involves long periods of time, or even to read the fine print on the
> large intermediary form in the museum, which turns out to be an artist's
> interpretation, *not* something dug up by an archaelogist.  I was never
> taught to wonder why, if evolution is true, is the fossil record not
> jam-packed with intermediary forms?

This is a creationist MYTH. There are many many intermediate forms
of animals in the fossil record.

> Because I was not taught to wonder, I missed the *wonder* of it all and
> hated science until, in the dorms at U.C. Davis, I ran into some serious
> students who felt there was more evidence for creation theory than for
> evolution.  Even though I had been a Christian for many years by that
> time, I was absolutely astounded that an intelligent students could
> actually believe that the Biblical account of creation is compatible with
> science.  Nowadays, they have scads of initials following their names,
> and believe the evidence even more.

The biblical account of creation IS NOT compatable with science.
ALL the so called scientific evidence has been demonstrated conclusively
to be invalid or even fraudulent. Just because someone has initials
after their name doesn't mean they should be believed.

   I have fewer initials but more
> children following me, and now I am able to share with them the wonders
> and mysteries of this marvelous, intricately-designed and orderly
> creation.   I was fortunate; most students *never* have the opportunity
> to hear the evidence.
>
> I would venture to say that most creationists only ask for a balanced
> presentation,  in the early years,  of differing viewpoints and that
> children be taught and encouraged to ask questions.

Creation Science is, as I have said before, a FRAUD. It is not science
at all but Hebrew Mythology in mascarade. If you are to give a balanced
view why not that of Norse Mythology or Greek Mythology or Egyptian
or Sumerian Mythology? The only difference is that some people still
believe that the primitive tribal stories of the ancient Hebrews are
literally true. There are a lot of people who believe this and you
might even say that there is one born every minute. This does not
make it good science. Science is based on a logical system of
proof, mythologies are not.

If Creationism is a science. What discovered facts have caused the
creed it promotes to change? Or if there aren't any what facts if
they were discovered could cause it to change?

If there any feature of creationism that is subject to scientific test?

Who do some christians belive in evolution?

(If I recall correctly Charles Darwin himself had a degree in Theology.)
0

If creationism is correct. Biological theory is wrong. Cosmological
Theory is wrong. Quantum mechanics theory is wrong. Geological theory is
wrong.

>From my point of view on the other side of the
Atlantic "Creation Science" is another whacky American idea. Rather like
the ideas of the people who believe that The United Nations is planning
to subjugate the population and is spying on them from black helicopters.

--
Neil Jones- Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk http://www.nwjones.demon.co.uk/
butterflies?" Andrew Lees - The quotation on his memorial at Crymlyn Bog