What was this in my garden?

Ian Thirlwell Ian at dunlinclose.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Aug 21 09:08:34 EDT 1999

Elephant Hawkmoth does seem likely, tho the eye-spots are described in
Porter (1997, "Caterpillars of the British Isles") as on only two segments
(4 and 5). The photo in the same book shows
darkish spots on the other segments.

There are several lepidopterists in the IoW who could help with this sort of
question if you needed. E-mail me if so.

Ian Thirlwell
Hampshire
UK

<7pka9c$iro$1 at nclient13-gui.server.virgin.net>...