smoke and butterflies?

Laurel Godley godley at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 31 14:10:53 EDT 1999

Has anyone ever researched the effect of smoke from forest fires on
butterflies?

I will be visiting my father in Redding, Ca this weekend and he commented on
the number of fires there.  It got me to wondering if something like smoke
drift and inhalation would effect butterflies much.  Certianly I would
expect the effects of the actual fire and the heat in the vicinity to kill
most things.  What I'm thinking is more along the lines of butterflies in
the next valley or ridge away.  10 miles?  25 miles?  50 miles?  Would smoke
blown by the wind impact them significantly?  It certianly seems that
mosquitos steer clear around the camp fire but is there a physiological
reason why insects might flee?

Thanks!
Laurel
in San Jose, CA