Knitted Nylon Plant Sleeves

Stanley A. Gorodenski stanlep at gateway.net
Wed Dec 22 20:21:47 EST 1999

One note of warning in the event some readers are not aware of this.  If
these are a netting type nylon material, you may have a problem with
ants.  Years ago I had reared colonies of Chlosyne lacinia in the field
by enclosing the sunflower plant in a tube of nylon mesh with
drawstrings at both ends.  It kept out most insects, but apparently, the
closed confines of the netting prevented the larvae from exercising
their normal defense (which may include dropping to the ground) against
tiny ants that got through the netting.  The colony was decimated by
these tiny ants.  I had to make a circular enclosure of aluminum foil
and cotton at the base of the plant to keep the ants out.  Once I did
this I had no problems, and it was an excellent way of rearing large
larval colonies in the field.

Stan Gorodenski