Fw: Noctua pronuba larva

mothman mothman at nbnet.nb.ca
Wed Feb 17 13:11:50 EST 1999

Several months back there was some discussion regarding the presence of this species in NE North America. Last weekend (12/13 February) we had rain (!) here in southern New Brunswick (Canada). This melted quite a bit of snow and apparently flooded out this larva (click URL below) from its overwintering site. N. pronuba overwinters as a mature larva and pupates in Spring o emerge in Summer. I suspect the larvae must be active (at night) in more southern latitudes.
    The larvae are characterized by a segmented pale dorso-lateral line capped by black crescents (readily seen in the image).

Tony (a.k.a. mothman)

    http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/mothman/N_pronuba_larva.html